Re: a vulnerability in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: a vulnerability in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Trond Eivind Glomsr�d wrote:
> Postgresql doesn't support upgrades[1], so if we're going to release
> upgrades[2], we'd need the backported fixes for 6.5, 7.0 and 7.1
>
> [1] Not the first time I mention this, is it?

There is now /contrib/pg_upgrade.  It has all the things I can think of
for upgrading.  Hopefully it can be tested extensively for 7,3 and fully
supported.

If people don't like that it is a shell script, it can be rewritten in
another language, but the basic steps it takes will have to be done no
matter what language it is written in.

However, as I have warned before, an major change from 7.2 to 7,3 could
make it unusable.  My point is that it isn't that I haven't tried to
make an upgrade script --- the problem is that making one sometimes is
impossible.

Pennsylvania19026