Re: [GENERAL] Psql 7.2.1 Regress tests failed on RedHat 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Psql 7.2.1 Regress tests failed on RedHat 7.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[HACKERS added to cc:, GENERAL dropped]
On Monday 20 May 2002 11:39 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Well, I went to bat for this a little bit ago, relating to a bug report,
> > but I've struck out.  The ISO C standard spells it out plainly that dates
> > before 1970 are just simply illegal for mktime and friends.

> Well, since glibc apparently has no higher ambition than to work for
> post-1970 dates, we may have little choice but to throw out mktime and
> implement our own timezone library.  Ugh.  It is pretty damn annoying
> that they aren't interested in fixing their problem...

They are just wanting to be standard.  I know this; I just can't say how I
know this.  But the link to the ISO definition is
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/xbd_chap04.html#tag_04_14
FWIW.

While I don't agree with the standard, trying to be standard isn't really a
'problem'.  Relying on a side-effect of a nonstandard call is the problem.

Can we pull in the BSD C library's mktime()?  OR otherwise utilize it to fit
this bill?

Looking at src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c indicates that it might not be too
difficult.  It was WISE to centralize the use of mktime in the one function,
it appears.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio