Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday 20 May 2002 08:08 pm, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
> > Where would we go to ferret out the source of this bug?  More to the
> > point: we need a test case in C that could expose this as a glibc
> > bug.

> Seems like mktime(3) is having problems with dates before the
> epoch. Attached is the a program to test this. The glibc source is now
> downloading I will try to hunt down this bug but not until the next
> week.

It's not a bug.  At least not according to the ISO C standard.  See
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/xbd_chap04.html#tag_04_14
for the definition of 'Seconds Since the Epoch', then cross-reference to the
man page of mktime.

I don't like it any more than you do, but that is the letter of the standard.

Thomas, any comments?

Our implementation is broken, then.  Thomas, is this fixable for a 7.2.x
release, or something for 7.3?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio