WIN32 native ... lets start?!? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joerg Hessdoerfer
Subject WIN32 native ... lets start?!?
Date
Re: WIN32 native ... lets start?!?  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

I followed the various threads regarding this for some time now. My current
situation is:

I'm working at a company which does industrial automation, and does it's own
custom products. We try to be cross-platform, but it's a windoze world, as
far as most measurement devices or PLCs are concerned. We also employ
databases for various tasks (including simple ones as holding configuration
data, but also hammering production data into it at a rate of several hundred
records/sec.)
Well, we would *love* to use PostgreSQL in most our projects and products,
(and we do already use it in some), because it has proven to be very reliable
and quite fast.

So, I'm faced with using PostgreSQL on windows also (you can't always put a
Linux box besides). We do this using cygwin, but it's a bit painful ;-)
(although it works!).

Thinking about the hreads I read, it seems there are 2 obstacles to native PG
on W:

1.) no fork,
2.) no SYSV IPC

Ok, 1.) is an issue, but there's a fork() in MinGW, so it's 'just' going to
be a bit slow on new connections to the DB, right?? But this could be sorted
out once we *have* a native WIN32 build.

The second one's a bit harder, but... I'm currently trying to find time to do
a minimal implementation of SYSV IPC on WIN32 calls, just enough to get PG up
(doesn't need msg*() for example, right?).
As far as I understand it, we would not need to have IPC items around *after*
all backends and postmaster have gone away, or? Then there's no need for a
'daemon' process like in cygwin.

So, my route would be to get it to run *somehow* without paying attention to
speed and not to change much of the existing code, THEN see how we could get
rid of fork() on windows.

What do you guys think? Anyone up to join efforts? (I'll start the IPC thingy
anyway, as an exercise, and see where I'll end).

Greetings,       Joerg

P.s.: thanks for a great database system!!
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com