Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 14:06, mlw a écrit :
> Sorry, I'm not interested in a cygwin version of PostgreSQL. I think it
> will do more harm than good. If we make it something that people want to
> try, and then they TRY it, they will find that is sucks, then we lose. It
> is very hard to remove the bad taste in ones mouth of a poor product. Think
> Yugo.

Cygwin is very stable. Its community is relatively small but very actuve. We
could well provide a unique installer to "hide" Cygwin from the user. This
can be done compiling Cygwin.dll in a separate user space, as per discussion
with Dave Page.

> I have no patience with designed to fail projects, certainly not with my
> time. PostgreSQL+cygwin is a loser. If I am going to invest my time and
> effort, I want it to be great.

I agree a native Windows PostgreSQL would be better.

> OK, a conscientious developer will explore options. They will install
> various systems and try them. Given a cygwin+PostgreSQL system, MSSQL,
> MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. MSSQL will win. MSSQL will win over Oracle for
> cost and ease of setup. DB2 will lose, similarly to Oracle. MySQL will lose
> because it sucks. PostgreSQL+cygwin will lose because it will also suck.

MySQL under Windows is based on Cygwin.
MySQL sucks  and has a 'huge" success.

So let's do it in three moves :

- first move : gain a large audience providing a stable release of Cygwin +
PostgreSQL. This could be done within days ... not weeks. This will be much
better than MySQL.

- second move : release a bundle of pgAdmin2 + PostgreSQL on
http://www.postgresql.org, Bloodshed and other sites.

- third move : based on 1.000.000 downloads and 100.000 users, feed the
community with more developpers, more ideas and more Windows native
source-code. So you wron't say "I am alone".

"Rome ne s'est pas faite en une nuit".
Cheers,
Jean-michel