Re: Issues tangential to win32 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Issues tangential to win32 support
Date
Re: Issues tangential to win32 support  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> There are some issues that the whole idea of a win32 port should bring up.
> One of them is whether or not postgresql should be rewritten as a
> multi-threaded app.
   Please, don't add this one to it.
   I'm  all for the native Windows port, yes, but I've discussed   the multi-thread questions for days  at  Great
Bridge, then   again with my new employer, with people on shows and whatnot.

   Anything in the whole  backend  is  designed  with  a  multi-   process  model in mind.  You'll not do that in any
reasonable  amount of time.

> If postgresql will never be rewritten as a multi-threaded app, then
> performance under Windows is likely to ALWAYS be slow, since that
> multi-thread is the preferred model for good performance on W32.  note
> that many Unixes prefer multi-threaded models as well (Solaris comes to
> mind) so there's the possibility that a multi-threaded postgresql could
> enjoy better performance on more than just windows.
   As soon as you switch to a multi-threaded middle  tier,  that   uses connection pools and avoids constant process
creation,I   think you don't have much of a problem  any  more.  The  high   connect/disconnect  ratio, acceptable for
threadeddatabases,   is what kills PostgreSQL.

> If postgresql IS going to eventually be multi-threaded, then the whole
> win32 port should probably be delayed until then, since it would solve
> many of the issues of fork() versus createprocess().
   If multi-threading is the plan, then there is  light  at  the   end of the tunnel ... the upcoming train...

Jan