Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3
Date
Re: Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dear all,

I would like to try compile Debian DPKG and APT-GET under Windows.

This would allow us to create a modern Windows installer for Cygwin, KDE2/3
and PostgreSQL. There are already existing project at
http://debian-cygwin.sourceforge.net/ and http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/.

The example of http://fink.sourceforge.net/ for MacOSX is quite interesting
because it includes PostgreSQL. The installation method is so much better
than Cygwin!!! There is no GUI installer yet, but it will come for sure.

IMHO, this would be the best solution complying with the open-source
philosophy and goals. Basically, this would provide the framework for :

- creating a PostgreSQL + Cygwin modern GUI installer. All required .DEB
packages would be downloaded and installed from Debian mirrors, with little
user intervention. PostgreSQL would be installed as a service.

- a cross-platform GUI environment for (future) pgAdmin. Please note I am not
dealing with pgAdmin future. Dave Page thinks Mono is the solution. I don't
agree and think we should use Cygwin-KDE or native Windows libraries.

Is it safe to compile Cygwin using Dev-C++? Is anyone interested in the
project?

Mark : as you said you were a Windows code-storm, how much time do you think
it would take for someone like you to port DPKD + APT-GET to Windows and
create a debian GUI package installer for Cygwin?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE