Re: Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tille, Andreas
Subject Re: Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 8 May 2002, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> This would allow us to create a modern Windows installer for Cygwin, KDE2/3
> and PostgreSQL. There are already existing project at
> http://debian-cygwin.sourceforge.net/
active development there.  (I think it would be sane to ask this question
there but I do not like to start cross-posting so I leave it in your
hands to post your question there.)

If I'm not completely wrong this project had some success in porting dpkg
and apt might be available in the not so far future - but I might be
wrong.

> and http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/.
I do not know this project.

> IMHO, this would be the best solution complying with the open-source
> philosophy and goals.
I like this project and I hope it will evolve - but my Win knowledge is
nearly zero.

> - creating a PostgreSQL + Cygwin modern GUI installer. All required .DEB
> packages would be downloaded and installed from Debian mirrors, with little
> user intervention. PostgreSQL would be installed as a service.
For sure this is the goal.

> - a cross-platform GUI environment for (future) pgAdmin. Please note I am not
> dealing with pgAdmin future. Dave Page thinks Mono is the solution. I don't
> agree and think we should use Cygwin-KDE or native Windows libraries.
Or alternatively wxGtk/wxWindows which has more options to choose the
programming language if I'm not completely wrong.

> Mark : as you said you were a Windows code-storm, how much time do you think
> it would take for someone like you to port DPKD + APT-GET to Windows and
> create a debian GUI package installer for Cygwin?
Please make sure to ask on debian-win32@lists.debian.org before starting an
additional project.  You can subscribe to this list on the general Debian
subscription page      http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/subscribe

Kind regards and good luck for the project
          Andreas.