Re: non-standard escapes in string literals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From F Harvell
Subject Re: non-standard escapes in string literals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:07:44 EDT, Tom Lane wrote:
> F Harvell <fharvell@fts.net> writes:
> > This also poses the biggest problem in terms of legacy compatibility.
> > Perhaps the answer is to add a runtime config option (and default it
> > to ANSI) and possibly deprecate the C escaping.
>
> While I wouldn't necessarily object to a runtime option, I do object
> to both the other parts of your proposal ;-).  Backslash escaping is
> not broken; we aren't going to remove it or deprecate it, and I would
> vote against making it non-default.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that backslash escaping was broken, just
non-compliant.  Beyond that, your recommendations are also probably
the best course of action.

I do desire that the "default" operation of the database be as ANSI
standard compliant as possible, however, I certainly understand the
need to be as backwards compliant as possible.  The only issue that I
can see with keeping the backslash escaping default is that new,
non-PostgreSQL programmers will not be expecting the escaping and will
be potentially blindsided by it.  (A bigger deal since backslashes are
unusual and are not often tested for/with.)  Perhaps prominent notice
in the documentation will be adequate/appropriate.  Maybe a section on
differences with the ANSI standard should be created.  (Is there
currently a compilation of differences anywhere or are they all
dispersed within the documentation?).

Thanks, F

--
Mr. F Harvell                          Phone: +1.407.673.2529
FTS International Data Systems, Inc.    Cell: +1.407.467.1919