Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >

> > Right offhand, I am not seeing anything here for which there's a
> > compelling case not to roll it back on error.
> >
> > In fact, I have yet to hear *any* plausible example of a variable
> > that we would really seriously want not to roll back on error.
>
> Honetsly I don't understand what kind of example you
> expect. How about the following ?
>
> [The curren schema is schema1]
>
>         begin;
>         create schema foo;
>         set search_path = foo;
>         create table t1 (....);
>         .
>    [error occurs]
>         rollback;
>         insert into t1 select * from schema1.t1;
>
> Should the search_path be put back in this case ?
> As I mentioned already many times, it doesn't seem
> *should be* kind of thing.
   Sure  should  it!  You  gave  an example for the need to roll   back, because otherwise you would  end  up  with  an
invalid   search path "foo".

   I  still believe that rolling back is the only right thing to   do. What if your application  doesn't  even  know
that some   changes happened? Have a trigger that set's seqscan off, does   some stuff and intends to reset it later
again.Now it elog's   out  before,  so your application will have to live with this   mis-setting on this pooled DB
connectionuntil  the  end?   I   don't think so!

Jan