Re: PostgreSQL index usage discussion. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bradley McLean
Subject Re: PostgreSQL index usage discussion.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* mlw (markw@mohawksoft.com) [020424 18:51]:

> (2) Use programmatic hints which allow coders specify which indexes are used
> during a query. (ala Oracle)

We would certainly use this if it were available.  Hopefully not to
shoot ourselves in the foot, but for the rather common case of having
a small set of important predefined queries that run over data sets
that neither grow significantly nor change in characteristics (for
example, a table of airline routes and fares, with a few million
rows).

We want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of certain
queries, and we're willing to spend the time to verify that the
manual tuning beats the planner.

> What do you all think? What would be a good plan of attack?

I dunno.  If someone comes up with one that I can reasonably
contribute to, I will.

-Brad