Re: Newbie question - Which Linux? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Newbie question - Which Linux?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Sorry for the newbie question. I'm going to install Linux primarily to run
> PostgeSQL. Is their any version/flavour of Linux that comes highly
> recommended for PostgreSQL? Or are they pretty much the same as far as
> PostgreSQL users are concerned?

I don't think it matters much. The main thing to keep in mind is that you
want a distribution of linux where you can easily trim down the system. I.E.
you don't want to click the "install everything" button. You want to remove
unecessary services & other software.

I personally use debian. It's really a matter of preference, since most
distributions will allow you to remove software easily. I hear slackware is a
leaner distribution than most, but I've never used it.

Make sure whatever you pick is mainstream enough that postgresql packages are
available close to the main releases. With debain it took a couple weeks to
get 7.2 packaged (thanks to Oliver Elphick), I don't know about the others.

Regards,
    Jeff