Re: Some basic ecpg questions - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: Some basic ecpg questions
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:08:28PM -0500, Murphy Pope wrote:
> 1)  It looks like I have to define each data type twice: once for ecpg and once for C.  Is that correct or is there
somethingbasic that I am missing?

I just committed some patches for this. Up to postgresql version 7.2
this is correct.

> 2)  I could not seem to include a varchar inside of a struct - the ecpg preprocessor got confused by that.  My
constructlooked something like:

>     typedef struct
>     {
>         int        id;
>         varchar data[50];
>     } foo;

C does not know varchar at all.

> When I tried to declare a 'foo' inside of the DECLATION SECTION, ecpg seemed to produce some code that my GNU CC
didn'tunderstand.  (If it would help, I can send in the actual source and resulting .c file).

Please try the actual CVS version as this part was just changed earlier
today.

> 3)  If I use EXEC SQL TYPE to declare a structure, it doesn't look like I can use an array of these structures to
retreivemultiple rows.  Using the previous example structures, I want to do something like:

>     EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARATION SECTION;
>         foo    records[5];
>     EXEC SQL END DECLARATION SECTION;
>
>    EXEC SQL select * into :records from bar limit 5;

Did you EXEC SQL TYPE datatype foo?

If so, please send me a simple example file I I can reproduce this.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De