Re: temp table indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: temp table indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
Read FAQ item 4.8 --- new version on web site.  It explains index is not
always the best.

Andrew Bartley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Postgres 7.1.3.
>
> I am trying to get postgres to use an index that is created on a temp table.  The temp table and index is created and
loadedfrom within a plpgsql proc.  The select I am trying to force a keyed select on, is also in the same proc.

> I have tired SET ENABLE_SEQSCAN TO Off  But it still does table scans.
>
> If I create the same temp table from an odbc driven windows sql app like WinSQL lite, I can force an index read if I
vacuumthe temp table once loaded.  I have tired vacuuming the table from within the plpgsql proc, but that seems to
causepostgres to shut down.