Re: Random Numbers/Letters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Random Numbers/Letters
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:57:49AM -0600,
  "Hillensbeck, Preston" <PHillensbeck@sfbcic.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     This may have been discussed before(I have looked and could not find
> much on this), but I need to find a way to generate random numbers and
> letters together to insert into a field when a new entry is created.  Just
> to give you a little insight, I will be accepting images from people and I
> want to generate a random line of numbers or letters so that I can put a
> name on a picture, and when someone pulls up a profile of the user, it will
> pull the picture with the random name out of the directory.  I haven't been
> able to find much on random number/letter generators within PostgreSQL so I
> wanted to post here.  If anyone has an easy way for this to be done, please
> let me know.  Thanks :)

I think you would be better off using a sequence instead. It seems what
you mostly want is a unique name. If you use random names, there is a chance
of a collision and this will make coding more complicated.