Re: limit /offset - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pirtea Calin
Subject Re: limit /offset
Date
List pgsql-general
> What makes you think that an index makes it faster to lookup the 10,000th
row
> in a table? A index indexes on *values* and has nothing to do with the row
> numbers. So your query has to go through and check the 10,000 rows to
ensure
> they actually match your query. That's what takes the time.

I understand now. I think i hoped that offset uses the index to jump to the
position
10000 (like jumping to a position in a file where the file is the index) and
start sending
rows from that point only. It was a stupid query anyway.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Aplication Developer
Pirtea Calin Iancu