Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:39:47PM +0100, Jean-Paul ARGUDO wrote:

> 2) if prepared statments and stored execution plan exist, why can't thos be used
> from any client interface or simple sql?
There is "execute already parsed query plan" in SPI layout only. The PostgreSQL hasn't SQL interface for this -- except
myexperimental patch for 7.0 (I sometime think about port it to latest PostgreSQLreleace, but I haven't relevant
motivationdo it...)

> 3) You tell us we can "move to the backend" some queries: do you mean we would
> have better performances with stored functions in plpgsql?
You needn't use plpgsql only. You can use C/C++, Tcl, Perl, Python.IMHO best performance has C + SPI + "store execution
plan".
But don't forget the path of query in PostgreSQL is not query parser only. Use "execute already parsed query plan" has
effectifyou use some query really often and the query spend in parserlonger time....

       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz