Re: Need to vacuum multiple times for effectiveness? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Need to vacuum multiple times for effectiveness?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:28:20PM +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using v7.1.3 and somehow when some tables get very bloated (many
> inserts over weeks) I seem to need to vacuum repeatedly before the table
> really gets cleaned up and postmaster starts using less CPU.

It is generally recommended to run VACUUM ANALYZE every day. The reason is
that new rows are put on the end of the table and yet need VACUUM to clean
out the cruft.

This is better explained in the docs.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>