Re: Speed comparison to Oracle. Why was this query slower on pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Speed comparison to Oracle. Why was this query slower on pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:53:40PM -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Is Oracle better at aggregate functions?
> Another point worth mentioning. The Oracle table has 40K records less.
> Postgresql has 770K, Oracld has 730K.

Posssibly. At the moment postgres will grab all the data from the table,
sort it, group it and then aggregate. Oracle is probably cleverer and just
aggregates directly. On that many rows it probably makes a difference.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/