Re: execute permissions of stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: execute permissions of stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 eric@datalink.nl wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:12:42PM +0100, Helge Bahmann wrote:
> > - if your data integrity and consistency constraints cannot easily be
> > expressed in relational terms, a relational database may not be the best
> > tool to solve your problem
>
> I don't see a real difference between a grant on a table, view or sequence and
> a procedure.  Grants have NOTHING to do at all with ANY of the relations in the
> database, so if this is your point of view the grants shouldn't exist AT ALL.
> But it seems that nody on this is willing to understand what I want or why I
> want it, so in one thing you are correct, PostgreSQL is definitely not the
> databse for me. It is useless to explain something to someone who simply
> doesn't want to understand you. It seems that I have to use a real database
> like Oracle after all.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that C functions currently allow you to
effectively do setuid around spi calls. But you'd still have to do
the what users are allowed to call this function portion manually
because that permission isn't available AFAIK (although it's been
talked about as part of 7.3 development I think).