Re: Database Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Database Performance?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:26:10AM -0700, Devin wrote:

> Dear Postgres Users,
>
> I am getting ready to be a big project for this customer
> and I was just curious on the performance of Postgresql 7.2?
> I have seen in previous benchmarks where MySQL was a lot
> faster overall than Postgres. Has 7.2 improved at all in
> the performance? I want to make sure I choose the right
> database since the database will be rather busy :)

Be a little bit careful about benchmarks. Whether postgresql or mysql is
faster depends on what you're doing. If all you want to do is the occasional
insert and lots and lots of simple selects, mysql (or even grep) will beat
postgres. If you want to do subselects, transactions, foreign keys, outer
joins, fault tolerence or anything else that makes a database a database,
mysql just can't do it.

See if MySQL and PostgreSQL satisfy your business requirements and then
decide which one you want.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>