Full Text Indexing... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Gamache
Subject Full Text Indexing...
Date
Re: Full Text Indexing...
List pgsql-general
Computing the amount of disk space it would take to house the full text index
on one of the fields in my database:

     36 bytes: each row header (approximate)
   + 53 bytes Varchar(53)
   + 8 bytes: oid field
   + 4 bytes: pointer on page to tuple
    101 bytes per row

   The data page size in PostgreSQL is 8192 bytes (8 KB), so:

   8192 bytes per page
   -------------------   =  82 rows per database page (rounded up)
     101 bytes per row

   561062644 data rows
   --------------------  =  6842228 database pages
      82 rows per page

6842228 database pages * 8192 bytes per page  =  56,051,531,776 bytes (56 GB)

Is my math right??? WOW! This thing is HUUUGE!

Table "title_fti"
 Attribute |         Type          | Modifier
 string    | character varying(53) |
 id        | oid                   |

When I index the oid, and the string,oid I'll get roughly another 75-100MB,
yes?

Ayn tips/tricks, or am I just going to have to add another 100MB to my server?

CG