Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, mlw wrote:

> As I have said before, multithreading queries within a connection
> process would be pretty cool, on a low load server, this could make a
> big performance increase, but it may be easier to create a couple I/O
> threads per connection process and devise some queuing mechanism for
> disk reads/write. In essence provide an asynchronous I/O system. This
> would give you the some of the performance of multithreading a query,
> while not requiring a complete thread-safe implementation.
>
> I think threading connections is a VERY bad idea. I am dubious that the
> amount of work will result in a decent return on investment.

I don't believe anyone (or, at least I hope not) is advocating threading
connections ... with systems getting more and more CPUs, and more and more
RAM, what I'm advocating is looking at taking pieces from within the
connection itself and threading those, to improve performance ... from
what I can tell with Apache2 itself, there is no "thread only" model that
they are advocating ... the closest is their 'worker' where you can have
multiple connections threaded in multiple processes, so, in theory, you
could limit to a large number of threads and a very low number of
processes ...