Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From
Subject Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I don't believe anyone (or, at least I hope not) is advocating threading
> connections ... with systems getting more and more CPUs, and more and more
> RAM, what I'm advocating is looking at taking pieces from within the
> connection itself and threading those, to improve performance ... from
> what I can tell with Apache2 itself, there is no "thread only" model that
> they are advocating ... the closest is their 'worker' where you can have
> multiple connections threaded in multiple processes, so, in theory, you
> could limit to a large number of threads and a very low number of
> processes ...

Making postgres functions thread-safe increases the
flexibility of the codebase.  Whether threading connections, sub-queries,
increasing processor utilization, or some other unforseen optimization,
having reentrant and thread-safe code leaves the door open for new ideas.
Yes, writing reenterant code can be restrictive and a little more complex,
but not much, the big work is the upfront cost of porting.  I have done it
done it once and gained a great deal on projects that I am working on.

Myron
mkscott@sacadia.com