Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: MS SQL compatible functions] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: MS SQL compatible functions]
Date
List pgsql-general
Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> A compatibility has already been considered for Oracle, you're
> mentioning one for MS SQL Server.
>
> Maybe it's time to think about how an abstraction layer could be added,
> and then appropriate Oracle/Sybase/Informix/MSSQL/etc
> modules/plug-ins/layers could be added to that?
>
> Wonder how much work it would take?

It's on the TODO list and I am willing to outline the options anytime.

One way is to have SQL functions that can be run on a desired database
to CREATE FUNCTION various compatibility functions.  I think there are
some for ODBC and I can imagine others.

For syntax stuff, I think the cleanest way would be to have a parser run
_before_ the main parser, rewriting stuff into PostgreSQL syntax and
cleaning up issues.