Re: IDEA: "suid" function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: IDEA: "suid" function
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:36:08AM -0800, Marc Munro wrote:
> Much of this functionality can be implemented simply    using  the  rule
> system and rewriting the inserts that a user thinks they  are  making,
> into what the system wants.  Depesz, if you would like to  contact  me
>    directly,      I    will    be    pleased    to    try    to    help.

i know it can be done with views and on update    rule's,  but  since  ian
wieck showed us on postgresql.con 2000    (in  poland)  how  dangerous  it
could be (problems when updating views basing on joins) i decided not to
use this feature.

> My current thinking is that a function should be able to run either, as
> now, solely with the rights of the caller, or with the rights  of  the
> owner of the rule that calls the function.  To control which tytpe  of
> function we are using, I would like to add another option to the  WITH
>  clause  of  the  create  function  statement.   Something  like  WITH
> rulepermissions.

that's exactly what i am asking about.    tf you (or  anyone  else)  could
implement this (my knowledge of c and internals  of  postgresql  is  not
enough to do it by  myself)  i    would  be  very  (V  E    R  Y)  grateful.

regards

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski                          http://www.depesz.pl/
... vows are spoken to be broken ...                 [enjoy the silence]