Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joerg Hessdoerfer
Subject Re: Problems with initdb on Cygwin
Date
List pgsql-general
At 12:55 25.01.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> > Actually, it's always the same address where the program
> > stops; running the above steps severaly times seems to confirm this
> > (which might indicate that the address is of use for you?!).
>
>The address is unhelpful, but a backtrace (try typing "bt") might be
>very interesting indeed.

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Just my 2ct - but could it be you did not start ipc-daemon? It's not in the
standard
cygwin distrib (one should bang the heads of these guys - to distribute a
program
and not even mentioning (e.g in the postinstall scripts) that you need to
get cygipc
from somewhere else!).

Just search for cygipc on the net - I use 1.11 (I think), and it works
fine. Without
ipc-daemon running in the bg, you get exactly the reported behaviour!

Greetings,
         Joerg