Re: implemention of calls to stored procs. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Krug
Subject Re: implemention of calls to stored procs.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:11:09AM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> I've been looking at the implementation of the procedural language
> support code with a view to writing a java plugin (ie: something to
> allow java classes to be used as stored procs).

As you probably know, you are not the first attempting to allow java
classes as stored procs. I'm interested in why you people are
attempting this. I can imagine 2 goals, the one of which is a hot
issue also for me and should has a relative simple solution, the other
seems to be not very imported and heavy to achieve:

1. goal) Give PostgreSQL after triggers the ability to notify Java
         apps about events in the database. In almost all cases this
         would be done using a JMS (Java Message Service) implementation
         in an application server which has to be called by the after
         trigger.
2. goal) To have Java as a YAPL4P (yet another procedural language for
         PostgresSQL).

I think all the big problems regularly reported on this list when a
new attempt is announced to be made to create a java plugin for
PostgreSQL are related to the second point: Java as a full-scale
YAPL4P - which is nice but should not be very important.

But if you have the same goal as I would like to have to time for:
using Java to notify outside Java apps about database events, then - I
think - your approach is promising and I wish you really good luck.

--
Holger Krug
hkrug@rationalizer.com