Re: 7.1 vs. 7.2 on AIX 5L - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: 7.1 vs. 7.2 on AIX 5L
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > On my machine the various implemtations have the following runtimes:
> > (with a modified s_lock test that does not sleep, and
> > SPINS_PER_DELAY 100000)
> >
> > with LinuxPPC asm:     1m5.16s    (Which may not work relyably on SMP)
> > with cs:            1m12.25s
> > with fetch_and_or:    1m26.71s
>
> Aah, there we have it. Same test on a slower 4Way SMP:
>
> with LinuxPPC asm:     2m9.340s
> with cs:            10m11.15s
> with fetch_and_or:    3m55.19s
>
> These numbers look more alarming.
> Unfortunately the man page for fetch_and_or does not mention anything
> about using it as a locking primitive. It is documented atomic though,
> so I guess that is enough.
>
> Andreas

I did several times of pgbenhc -c 10 -t 20 with the modification you
suggested and once got a hung (all backends sleeping with the status
showing "COMMIT"). Also I had an eror:

NOTICE:  LockRelease: no such lock

I'm afraid now the locking is broken. Will look into more.
--
Tatsuo Ishii