Re: Problem reloading regression database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem reloading regression database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am testing pg_upgrade.  I successfully did a pg_upgrade of a 7.2
> > regression database into a fresh 7.2 install.  I compared the output of
> > pg_dump from both copies and found that c_star dump caused a crash.  I
> > then started doing more testing of the regression database and found
> > that the regression database does not load in cleanly.
>
> No kidding.  That's been a known issue for *years*, Bruce.  Without a
> way to reorder the columns in COPY, it can't be fixed.  That's the main
> reason why we have a TODO item to allow column specification in COPY.
>
> > I also see what looks like a crash in the server logs:
>
> >     DEBUG:  pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
> >     FATAL 1:  Socket command type 1 unknown
>
> No, that's just the COPY failing (and resetting the connection).  That's
> not going to be fixed before final either, unless you'd like us to
> develop a new frontend COPY protocol before final...

I used to test regression dumps a long time ago.  It seems I haven't
done so recently;  guess this is a non-problem or at least a known,
minor one.

It also means my pg_upgrade is working pretty well if the rest of it
worked fine.

Pennsylvania19026