Re: Does pg_dumpall do BLOBs too? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: Does pg_dumpall do BLOBs too?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:37:36AM +0100, Daniel Lundin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:38:01PM +0100, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > The man page for pg_dumpall does not mention anything about BLOBs,
> > whereas the man page for pg_dump does. Does that mean you can't dump out
> > everything at once if you have databases with BLOBs on your server? (I
> > need to dump and reload everything cuz my new app wants a NAMEDATALEN of
> > 64).
> >
> As I understand it, pg_dumpall calls pg_dump, so if pg_dump backups blobs, so
> would pg_dumpall.

You're right: pg_dumpall is just a shell script that calls pg_dump.
Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to hack actually, which it seems
you'd have to do to get what I want:

--------------------------- begin ---------------------------
frank@limedes:~ > pg_dumpall -Ft -b > everything_13_jan_02.out.tar
pg_dump: BLOB output is not supported for plain text dump files. Use a
different output format.
pg_dump failed on template1, exiting

The wrapper script doesn't seem to pass the option -Ft to pg_dump so it
doesn't support output formats other than plain text which means you
can't do BLOBs.

I might try to fix this . . .

Regards, Frank