Re: passing resource id's through functions - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: passing resource id's through functions
Date
List pgsql-php
On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:44:05AM -0500, Chadwick Rolfs wrote:
> I seem to have figured out that pg_connect returns a resource ID that will
> not pass into another function, and that pg_pconnect does.  I'm not too
> keen on the persistent connections.  Can someone confirm this belief?  I'm
> trying to remember where on php.net I read how to pass pg_connect
> resources to other functions, and haven't found it at functions,
> persistent connections, pg_connect or pg_pconnect.

    Hmm--I've never had any problems with passing the database connection
handle from pg_connect into pg_exec (the only place you can really use it,
as far as I know).

    On the other hand, I did have some problems with a multi-virtualhosted
system where persistent connections were being passed back and forth between
two different hosts with different databases, which confused some of the
transaction-handling bits.

    (of course, I'm still not sure how much of a benefit there is with
persistant connections if you db is local [like most people's are], but that's
one to argue about somewhere else).

--
Adam Haberlach         | Who buys an eight-processor machine and then
adam@newsnipple.com    | watches 30 movies on it all at the same time?