Re: Performance tips - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Performance tips
Date
Re: Performance tips  (Coax <coax@shell1.cornernet.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:33:24PM -0600, Coax wrote:
> In Linux, vmstat's first line of output is always incorrect, as it pulls
> values from /proc/stat - and averages them over the timeperiod you
> specify.

LOL! If that's true, why does running it with no arguments produce one line
of output if it's going to be wrong? I'd count that as a form of bug.

Actually, the man page does discuss this. It says that the first time it
gives an average since boot, which is nice to know, but not very useful in
this case.

> Therefore, just running a single vmstat will do zilch for you.
>
> 'vmstat 1' will give you accurate numbers on the 2nd thru <infinite>
> reading, at 1 second intervals.

Well, I did mention that to him. Hopefully he'll send the results soon.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/