Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Albertson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
I found when prototyping my Postgresql application that there
is a BIG diference in performance if the entire set of data
fits in RAM.  Just about anything is fast if that is the
case.  But when your data gets to be 10 or 100 times what
will fit is RAM it can slow down drastically.  When you do
your testing you must use realistic sized test data.  I wrote
some functions to produce random numbers and strings and them
COPYed them into tables.

In your case, even after years, the data will still fit all in
the RAM cache.  You can expect good performance.

Also, Postgresql is very uneven.  Some things it does well and
fast and then one small change to the SQL that should not matter
and it just dies.  Sometimes when a querry is runing  slow
you can re-write the SQL to something equivalent and see a
speedup.  This is IMO one of the major diferances between
Postgresql and Oracle.  Oracle is not so uneven while with
Postgresql very similar querries can have very diferent times
to complete.  A lot depends on your exact SQL querry.  I can
write one that would take hours even on a small table.

That second CPU will ONLY help you if more then one client
is connected to Postgresql at the same time or if the computer
has some other non-database task to run. So if you
expect much concurrent access go with multi-CPU setup if
not then go with a faster single CPU. In every case RAM
helps more then anything else.  The more RAM the better.
At today's prices 1GB not unreasonable.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com