Index file corruption in PG 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert E. Bruccoleri
List pgsql-bugs
This bug is for PostgreSQL 7.1.3 running on an SGI Irix 6.5
system. All regression tests passed when the system was built.

While loading large amounts of data into new database, I started
getting the following error message from my loading script.

At Thu Dec 13 15:48:29 EST 2001: executing copy atoms from stdin
ERROR:  copy: line 1, cannot open segment 3 of relation atoms_id (target block 4215318): No such file or directory
PQendcopy: resetting connection

I tracked down the filename for this relation and the segments are
not full length! Notice:

gaia postgres 12 >>ls 4750787*
-rw-------    1 postgres other     617963520 Dec 13 14:54 4750787
-rw-------    1 postgres other      97861632 Dec 13 14:48 4750787.1
-rw-------    1 postgres other     114630656 Dec 13 14:43 4750787.2

The first two files should have been 1073741824 bytes in length.

This file is an index which was created when the data base
was empty using the following command:

create index atoms_id on atoms using hash (atom_id);

The atoms table is defined as follows:

create table atoms (
       mol_id         text,
       res_id         text,
       name           text,
       atom_id          text,
       element        text);

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D.      | Phone: 609 737 6383                |
| President, Congenomics, Inc.     | Fax:   609 737 7528                |
| 114 W Franklin Ave, Suite K1,4,5 | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                     | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534             |                                    |