Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MindTerm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am writing a large function which perform more
> than 2000 modify statements ( delete / insert ) . The
> execution time of this function is not acceptable. How
> can I config postgresql ( in postgresql.conf ?? ) so
> that the performance will be better ? The machine
> runing postgresql have spare memory and harddisk
> space.

It's hard without more information, is the function like
an internal function or do you mean an external one?
In the latter case, the first thing to do is make
sure you're not in autocommit (ie, you've begun a
transaction) since otherwise you're doing 2000
separate transactions.
The settings that are the first to look at in the
postgresql.conf are shared_buffers and sort_mem.