creating a custom server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Victor Ivanov
Subject creating a custom server
Date
List pgsql-general
    Hi!

    First, sorry if this is off topic.  Second, WARNING: broken english
ahead :)

    Is it possible to create a 'custom' server which can accept normal
connections from normal clients, but use different language (or just
'proxy' the queries to the real server)?  A friend of mine told me this
is a feature of some commercial sql server.  What I acutaly want to do
is to add another layer between the client and the server.

    For example, a client connects and issues a query like 'show sessions'.
My server checks if the client has permission (according to a table in
postgres) and then 'translates' the query to 'select * from sessions' or
something else.  The result is then sent back to the client (possibly
modified).

    Another way to do this is to get the communication library and use
it in my application...

    Any ideas/hints/etc will be appreciated.

--
Players win and winners play
Have a lucky day