Re: yet another db corruption issue (more info) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Lapham
Subject Re: yet another db corruption issue (more info)
Date
List pgsql-general
Indeed, the problem has been tracked down to hardware.  Bad RAM.  I was (with
the kind help of some list members) able to rebuild the database without any
data loss.

Basically, what I had to do was update 'pg_class->relnatts' from 19 to 18.
This single change allowed me to actually work with the fraction table, but
without the ability to access the missing 'editdate' attribute.

Then, I tried to add a new column to 'fraction' using "ALTER TABLE fraction
ADD editdate ...", this barfed saying that the "editdate" colun already exists.

So, I then ran a "ALTER TABLE fraction RENAME editdate TO editdate2". This
command suceeeded, but I still couldn't see the missing attribute in \d
fraction.  So, I re-updated pg_class and set relnatts back to 19.  Now I could
see and access the 'editdate2' attribute!  A simple rename command put
everything back together again.

Now I can sleep.

--
 Jon Lapham