Re: TEXT field's length limit in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dr. Evil
Subject Re: TEXT field's length limit in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> I know that my question may seem trivial, but unfortunately I haven't found
> any understandable info on this topic. It's about length limit of the TEXT
> field in PostgreSQL. I've heard that the TEXT fields in psql are limited to
> 4096 bytes but it's just unbelievable for me. So if I've got text of more
> than 4096 bytes size, for example article - do I really have to put it in
> the LOB field and use these terrific lo-functions to access it ?? Please, if
> anyone can help me - write to samuel@netmagia.pl .

Under PG7.0, there was an 8k limit on the size of rows, so you had to
use LOB for things bigger than that, but that limit is gone in PG7.1.
I'm not sure what the max size on TEXT is, but it's much much bigger
than 4096 bytes.  Certainly you could store entire magazine articles
in it.