Re: writing & flushing C extensions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John P. Looney
Subject Re: writing & flushing C extensions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:02:10AM -0400, Tom Lane mentioned:
> >  DROP FUNCTION test();
> >  CREATE FUNCTION test() RETURNS text AS '/var/lib/pgsql/functions/test.so' LANGUAGE 'c';
> Actually, you can be pretty sure that it *won't* be flushed; once a
> backend has loaded a dynamic link library, the library stays loaded
> till the backend exits.  Dropping/recreating individual function
> definitions that point at the library makes no difference.
>
> I believe the only way to get an updated copy of a library without
> starting a new backend is to execute the LOAD command, which will
> unload and reload the library.

 Ah, excellent. Thanks.

 Just out of curiousity - does "LOAD" also flush other libraries that the
postgres extension is linked against ?

John

--
John Looney             Chief Scientist