Re: TOAST and TEXT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: TOAST and TEXT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:
> It should be noted that there is still a limit of about 1GB if I
> remember correctly.
   You're right, there is still a practical limit on the size of   a text field. And it's usually much lower than 1GB.
   The problem is that first, the (encoded) data has to  be  put   completely  into  the  querystring, passed to the
backendand   buffered there entirely in memory. Then it get's parsed,  and   the  data  copied  into  a  const  node.
Afterrewriting and   planning, a  heap  tuple  is  build,  containing  the  third,   eventually fourth in memory copy
ofthe data. After that, the   toaster kicks in, allocates another chunk of that size to try   to compress the data and
finallyslices it up for storage.

   So the limit depends on how much swapspace you have and where   the per process virtual memory limit of your OS is.
   In practice, sizes of up to 10 MB are no problem. So  storing   typical MP3s works.

Jan