Re: Inserting encrypted data into postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James F. Hranicky
Subject Re: Inserting encrypted data into postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
"K Old" <kevsurf4@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to load encrypted data (a credit card number encrypted by the
> Crypt::Twofish perl library) and postgres won't accept the data.  I have
> tried escaping each character, and nothing works.
>

> For example a credit card number like
>
> 7384998737264839
>
> when encrypted by Crypt::Twofish would look like
>
> q�Օ�с.'�Ҍ�
>
> I cannot get postgres to accept this input.  Any ideas of different
> datatypes, or ways I can get it to accept this highly encrypted string?
>
> I have several modules that encrypt the string with letters and numbers
> rather than symbols, etc. like Twofish, but would love to have this solution
> work.

How about using the MIME::Base64 module?

From MIME::Base64(3) :

      use MIME::Base64;

      $encoded = encode_base64('Aladdin:open sesame');
      $decoded = decode_base64($encoded);

You could do something like this pseudo-code:

    insert into db values ("userid", encode_base64($crypted));

    ($userid, $enc_cardno) = select * from db where userid = "Bob";
    $cardno = decrypt(decode_base64($enc_cardno));

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |