pgsql/src/backend/access/nbtree nbtinsert.c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From tgl@postgresql.org
Subject pgsql/src/backend/access/nbtree nbtinsert.c
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    01/09/29 19:49:51

Modified files:
    src/backend/access/nbtree: nbtinsert.c

Log message:
    Tweak btree page split logic so that when splitting a page that is
    rightmost on its tree level, we split 2/3 to the left and 1/3 to the
    new right page, rather than the even split we use elsewhere.  The idea
    is that when faced with a steadily increasing series of inserted keys
    (such as sequence or timestamp values), we'll end up with a btree that's
    about 2/3ds full not 1/2 full, which is much closer to the desired
    steady-state load for a btree.  Per suggestion from Ann Harrison of
    IBPhoenix.