Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Summerfield
Subject Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version
Date
Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > > What we probably want is some configure switch that switches between the
> > > current behaviour and the behaviour you want.
> >
> > I'd suggest --prefix-like options to determine installation locations
> > for the perl and python modules,
>
> Basically, I was envisioning some option like
>
> --enable-local-installation-layout
> --enable-playpen-installation

I'd point out this from the INSTALL document:    --prefix=PREFIX
         Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of         /usr/local/pgsql. The actual files will be
installedinto

various         subdirectories; no files will ever be installed directly into
the         PREFIX directory.
         If you have special needs, you can also customize the
individual         subdirectories with the following options.

This is entirely consistent with the way other software that uses the
same configuration procedure.

I contend that if a user wants different behaviour the onus is on the
user to specify that.

I've no argument with those who'd make it easy to specify that
different behaviour with, perhaps, --disable-perl-install as a
configure option.

Installing everything under --prefix (as the document says) would also
help package builders; the current rpm looks pretty horrible (and
that's why I didn't pursue THAT path).

> just something, um, better.  (If we name them --with-perldir, then 51% of
> the users will think that's the location where Perl itself is installed.)
>
> Actually, if you do opt for the "playpen" version then the actual choice
> of installation directory shouldn't be so interesting.  The only
> reasonable place is ${libdir}/postgresql, unless you want to make up your
> own file system standard.
>
> > plus options on the order of --no-install-perl (ie, build it, but
> > don't install it).
>
> This is currently the default behaviour, if you recall. ;-)

Actually the reason it gave for not installing the perl bits is that I
didn't have the authority. It would have been completely happy if I'd
been root.

And I wouldn't have.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.