Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dr. Evil
Subject Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
> probably a bad idea.  From what I've heard the speed of your java
> program is wholely dependent on the speed of your vm (and most
> aren't that quick).  Although it would be nice to have just to say
> we have it and mysql doesn't (then again mysql doesn't have a whole
> lot of things that pgsql already has).

PG has no competition from MySQL.  MySQL finally got a procedural
language, but it's perl!  perl is in many ways a terrible PL.
Basically, if you are using a database for any kind of real stuff
where data integrity and reliability are important, you need a
strongly-typed language.  PL/pgsql is actually a greal language for
this.  Far better than perl.

Anyway... yeah, I have heard that a lot of java vms are not fast, but
a lot of the time fast isn't as important as solid and correct, and
java lends itself to solid, correct programming better than most other
languages.