Re: Roll Back dont roll back counters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Roll Back dont roll back counters
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 05:26:55AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Why do people care about holes anyway? I've never understood that...
>
> The single seat syndrome?  (It's my database and I'm the only one using
> it.)

Well, there may be something to that. But that's just neatness issues.

> Trying to put intelligence into the field?  (I can tell the order the
> entries were made in the table using this field.)

You can tell the order anyway. The order doesn't change, it's only that
there may be numbers missing,

Unless they want to use it as a shortcut for count(*).

Primarys keys should be opaque. Any meaning read into them is entirely
coincidental.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/