Re: [Fwd: MySQL Benchmark page - Problem with vacuum() in PostgreSQL] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [Fwd: MySQL Benchmark page - Problem with vacuum() in PostgreSQL]
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Widenius wrote:
> [...]
>
>     Some things that I know we have missed in the single user
>     benchmark are:
>    - Sub select (all different forms of sub select, with a comparison
>             to normal selects for those select that can be
>          changed to normal selects)
>    - Foreign keys (which should contain a comparison with multi-table-delete)
>    - Transactions
>    - Rollback
>
>    With comparison I mean that there should be at least one test that
>    makes it easy for the user to see which construct is better for
>    this database.

    Can we clearify that point a little? Does it mean to define a
    foreign key constraint in databases that support it and  just
    check  for  the error, but do all the appropriate locking and
    existence  checks  for  all  operations  (UPDATE/DELETE   PK,
    INSERT/UPDATE FK) on the client side for databases that don't
    support it?

    Well, especially because of the "appropriate  locking",  it'd
    make much more sense to do it all in concurrent multiuser ...
    :-)

Jan