Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
This is basically what foreign keys are designed to
do.

If you haven't used them before Bruce Momjian's online
book covers the details, and it is PostgreSQL
specific.

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

As an example let's say that you had the following
simple tables:

CREATE TABLE customers (
id         SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
name       varchar(50)
);

CREATE TABLE products (
id         SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
name       varchar(50),
owner_id   int
);

adding a simple constraint will do what you want:

ALTER TABLE products ADD CONSTRAINT owner_id_fk
FOREIGN KEY (owner_id) REFERENCES customers(id);

I tend to write that a little differently, in that I
include it in the table definition like so:

CREATE TABLE products (
id         SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
name       varchar(50),
owner_id   int REFERENCES customers(id)
);

There's a lot more that you can do with this nifty
tool, but Bruce tells the story much better than I
would.

Hope this is helpful,
Jason