Re: FATAL 1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From newsreader@mediaone.net
Subject Re: FATAL 1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:42:33AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> newsreader@mediaone.net writes:
>
> > I think that postmaster should log such instances as FATAL 1.
>
> IIRC, the kernel sends a SIGKILL signal in that case, so the affected
> application doesn't have a chance to react, it just gets terminated
> immediately.  If you want to monitor these events better you need to ask

Ok here is what I find in dmesg

Out of Memory: Killed process 17534 (postmaster).
Out of Memory: Killed process 18228 (postmaster)

I think backends got killed instead of postmaster
Fact is postmaster did not die; it is still
running now and apparently survived the
out of memory event