Re: FATAL 1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: FATAL 1
Date
Re: FATAL 1  (newsreader@mediaone.net)
List pgsql-general
newsreader@mediaone.net writes:

> I found a couple of entries in my dmesg which stated that linux
> (kernel 2.4) killed two postmasters because the system ran out of
> memory.
>
> I think that postmaster should log such instances as FATAL 1.

IIRC, the kernel sends a SIGKILL signal in that case, so the affected
application doesn't have a chance to react, it just gets terminated
immediately.  If you want to monitor these events better you need to ask
your kernel for help.  If the postmaster gets terminated normally, for
various definitions of normal, you will get log entries.

> Does anyone know how I can recover these time stamps?  If not is there
> a log level for which time stamps will be made?

You can turn on time stamps in the postgresql.conf file, but that won't
help you in this case.